Business along Sir Apollo Kagwa road came to a stand still yesterday evening after a Costa registration number UAN 559X started burning while moving slowly in jam near Makerere small gate.
The unfortunate incident took place at around 8pm and dozens of passengers were seen flying for their lives causing the jam to even last longer. This attracted hundreds of people who gathered around the vehicle in shock.
No lives were lost.
According to the fire brigade team which arrived a few moments later, the possible cause of the fire could have been poor maintenance of the vehicle.
"Drivers drive old cars and yet use unskilled mechanics to repair them... So, the result is things like fire," said one of the members of fire brigade.
According to one of the passengers only identified as Juma, the incident left many of them panicking, before they dashed out of the doomed vehicle that was heading to Bwaise from Kampala.
"We have been inside the Costa and people along the road were screaming that the car is on fire. We at first didn't believe but we saw smoke and immediately started rushing out," he narrated.
At first, people tried to put off the fire that started from the engine in vain until one of them called police who also called fire brigade team.
The driver, who is still unidentified, was seen making numerous calls while panicking before he disappeared.
By press time, the vehicle was still on the road with fire brigade team trying to bring the situation back to normal while the passengers who were inside were heard thanking God for their lives, as they looked for other means to reach their destinations.